Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Sussex

I started my Light Sussex flock almost two years ago and have enjoyed them immensly. I was fortunate to obtain Lights from several sources including Pennsylvania, New York and Colorado Springs. Most of my Lights are recessive for Coronation ( Lavender ) so I was able to produce the visually stunning Coronations I now breed from. I also recently obtained two more Coronation pullets so have a nice diversified gene pool to pull my breeding stock from. Of course most if not all of these birds can be traced back to Greenfire Farms bloodline with a little Canadian blood thrown in for good measure!

For those new to chickens the Coronation/Lavender is a recessive gene so both parents must carry gene to produce a Coronation offspring. For instance two parents may look like Lights but if they both have the recessive gene 25% of the offspring would be visually Coronation. The nice thing about these two colors is that you can breed them together since Coronation is just a dilution of black so the black color is replaced with the lavender/Coronation.

My next project with Sussex are my Silvers. Visually stunning these guys are huge gentle giants. I have a very small flock in the works this year and am working on obtaining more breeding quality stock. I have read that periodically crossing a Coronation to a Silver helps to brighten the silver color.

Last year my Sussex produced eggs all winter long. They are very fluffy and cold tolerant. Because they are so calm around people I highly recommend this breed for families with kids. We took my Sussex hens to a birthday petting zoo last summer and they sat quietly on the kids laps as if they had been doing that for years!

I will be planning test hatches late winter and have chicks available in early spring.


Silver Sussex Pullet

Silver Sussex pullet

Silver Sussex cockerel with Light hen

Coronation Sussex cockerel, rooster in back

Light Sussex rooster

Light Sussex cockerel

Silver Sussex cockerel

SIlver Sussex rooster

Silver Sussex rooster

1 comment: